Do you guys remember that quilt I did, oh 4 months ago? It was for the Bonnie Christine Ribbon Tour. Let’s refresh our memories
I have a confession: it wasn’t done. See, I quilted it for about 3 days straight, 12 hours each day. Some of you might be wincing right now because you know where this story is going. I sprained my wrist from all the free motion quilting. It swelled up, I couldn’t even pick up my coffee cup, let alone keep quilting. But the deadline!!!! Well, my husband had a great idea. The ribbon portion of the quilt was done, it was just the border. So, what if I just zipped around the whole outside, trimmed it, and then through the magic of photography it will look finished? Did it work? Did I fool you back in March? (The entire left side of the quilt in the picture above is unquilted — and there’s no binding…)
But it’s done now!!!! Well, actually a few months ago, actually. I procrastinated on the binding. Readers, please meet Video Killed the Radio Star, or affectionately, VKRS. I believe, to date, this is my husband’s favorite quilt — he’s asked to hang it above the sofa so it doesn’t get matted with cat fur. That’s a good sign. Also, I will apologize now for the photo overload. I am so happy that it’s done and I get to share it in all it’s done glory that I may have went overboard with the pictures. VKRS is very photogenic, though, wouldn’t you agree?
I really, really went to town on the quilting (hence sprained wrist) – I think every single thing I had learned from Angela Walter’s Craftsy videos to date is in there. Not the dot to dot quilting though, I watched that one after VKRS was done. There are feathers, tiles, clamshells, woodgrain, swirls, swirls mixed with leaves, big negative space bubbles like I did here, and sooooo many more. As with most quilts, you can see the quilting better on the back.
I’m so incredibly proud of those tiles. This was the first time I had ever tried them — they are a LOT easier than they look!
The back was pieced with some scraps and a 3yard cut I had of the yellow beehives. In the beginning, I really wanted to match the beehive print, but that was just not going to happen. Especially, after I struggled with it for three hours. So, instead, it’s a scrappy back, and I still have three more yards of the beehives for a future project. A win-win I would say, because the solids that are pieced in show the quilting sooooo very well.
I’m starting to run out of things to say…Hmmmm. Maybe I should just add some more pictures now?
Oh, the binding! So I tried about three options I believe, and none of them were right. First it was a light gray solid, and it was okay, but it didn’t provide enough contrast. Next, was a pretty coral and teal print from Art Gallery. It was okay, but not very assertive, and I felt like VKRS needed an assertive binding. Then I was out at a not-quite local quilting store and they had this perfect purple sateen. Then the bears came home and found Goldilocks – oh wait, that’s a different story.
This won’t be the last time you see this binding. I bought too much of it (of course!) and it has already started to make its way into another project.
Aaaaaand, the end.
(Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Friday, since it’s been finished for many Fridays)