It’s very hard to believe it’s June already, but June it is! Today I’m sharing another baby quilt I made recently. It’s the second woodland inspired baby quilt I’ve made (first is here) but it’s so very very different. At least I think so.
I started with a few wonky log cabin blocks, thinking I’d do the entire quilt that way. Well, it turns out that wonky log cabin blocks are kind of boring. I think if I was working from scraps, I might have enjoyed the process more, but I was trying to challenge myself to use just a limited color palette, and only a few fabrics. Since I wasn’t allowing myself to add more colors or more fabrics, the only other options were to either slog it out with the log cabins, or add more blocks. I’m not one for slogging.
I kept adding different kinds of blocks, and fussy cutting deer, just really making whatever I felt like at the time. Then the giant jigsaw that is an improv quilt came — and it was so much fun to try to fit all the pieces together! (That’s not sarcasm, it really was fun!).
Around the same time the top was finished, “Hello, Bear” was released, and we know how much I love Bonnie Christine! So it was a perfect, and very logical choice for the back of the quilt. Since the top was so busy, I wanted to keep the quilting simple, just an easy loopy meander. I always forget how quickly light, easy quilting goes — especially on a baby sized quilt. I was done in the matter of an afternoon, which is almost a record for me.
For the binding I did the ‘brave’ thing and cut it on the bias. I knew from nearly the beginning that I wanted to use that great dark grey vine print from Simply Color. It’s been in my stash for eons, and it really, really complemented the quilt and woodland theme beautifully. However, cut straight on, I was worried about the print lining up, and how much you would see of the leaf detail. On the bias though, it looks great! Bias binding really wasn’t that hard. I did try the “magical” approach, but it was honestly just easier to cut it on the bias, then join the strips together, like a normal binding.
I forgot to take final dimensions (I really need to remember to do that someday!), but the back was a 1.5 yard cut, and I had very little left over. So, rough estimate, the quilt is about 40″ x 50″, at least before washing. The quilt is off in its new home, and I’m sure will be snuggled constantly.
Linking with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Friday.