Whew! This one was a beast. That’s probably not really the best way to start a post, but honest at least. Also, please note the unimaginative name – the hubs doesn’t like naming quilts we don’t get to keep, so we’re left with what I can come up with. The fabric is mostly Heather Bailey, and they’re squares. Ta-da!
So this quilt started with a request from a friend of my husband’s cousin – a patchwork quilt to use at her wedding. Not too much input on size, or color, just simple patchwork. The wedding colors were a light purple and blue, so I went with Heather Bailey’s newest (at the time) collections — Lottie Da and True Colors. A charm pack of each, plus one of neutrals, toss in a little stash and I’ll be golden, right? [insert evil maniacal laughter here]
Turns out, not all charm packs are the same size. They weren’t so far off that I noticed while sewing late at night, but just far enough that when I started to sew rows together, there were some noticeable scant seams. [Now insert swearing]
So I did what all frustrated quilters do – eat chocolate and grab the starch can. I starched all the defiance out of the pieces I had sewn, and trimmed where I could to full 1/4″ seams on the rows. So the squares, well, they’re not really squares, but an 1/8″ is hardly noticeable. I was still very worried about those seams though. If this had been a quilt for me, it would have been no big deal. I can fix busted seams 4 years down the road. This quilt wasn’t for me, it was going out into the world with my name on it; I couldn’t let poor craftsmanship escape.
Enter the help from Instagram — Quilt it to death. I’m not sure if I quilted it to death, or just into submission, but if any of those seams ever bust open, they can only travel about 1/2″ at most. At very, very most.
After that it went, well not smoothly, but smoother. Turns out quilting dense paisleys (or clamshells depending on what you call them) is not easy on the wrists or shoulders. But its done. Done. Done.
224 5″ squares
8 spools of thread
1 sheet from Target
5/8 yd of Kona Lime binding
6 bowls of ice cream (chocolate of course)
1 can of spray starch
2 Tula Pink prints
1 AMH print
1 Kaffe Fasset
2 Pearl Bracelets
2 Denyse Schmidt
1 Zen chic
1 Charcoal Solid
# I can’t remember at all…
And one very happy bride. Though her groom might have had a small part in that. I can’t claim all the credit.